TEST YOUR MIGHT!!!!

So here I am half-paying attention as I'm scanning for my friend while wasting time doing other non-important things. He didn't have any luck tonight, so decides to call it and get to bed. I was still pretty hyped up on that Dominix I killed previously, and the thoughts of murdering another loot-pinata started dancing in my head... I continue scanning for myself and hone in on what I hope is my next victim. 

Sweet, it's a Kronos! I fleet-warp Faylee to the pocket and upon landing I immediately spot one of my best friends, a Mobile Tractor Unit. These things are great because when you see one you can assume that the missioner cares about his loot and salvage. It obviously doesn't work all the time, but a lot of my successful flips started out with me shooting an MTU. Now the Kronos is a good 90km away from the MTU, but I decide to shoot at it anyway. Orbit, target lock, drop drones, "F", F1, and I'm happily chewing through it's shields and well on my way into its armor. I never really expect it, but excitement crawls in as I'm yellow-box'd... Oh, shit he actually shot at me!

Please shoot me and sever the chains of tractor beam slavery!
 So now the adrenaline starts pumping as I immediately reel my drones in, and proceed with my spiral-approach towards the big fat meanie that shot at me. I don't understand how NPC agression mechanics work and what causes them to want to shoot at me, but all I know is they are really not making this easy for me. The rats are plinking away at me, pushing my armor near half when I'm forced to start expending more cap to run my repper. It also didn't help that the Kronos was still getting off a few random lucky shots. I assumed that he was rail fit being that he was 90km away from the beacon, but I decide to do a quick 'look at' anyway just to confirm my suspicions. Yup, he's fit with rails! My heart is racing as I'm nearing overheated scram range, then... POOF! He's roughly 85km behind me. My heart sinks as I thought I had missed my chance, but I quickly turn around and spiraling back towards him. I fully expect him at this point to just warp off, but much to my surprise he's sticking around to shoot at me along with his rat-friends. 

At this point I'm having to overheat my repper in bursts to get through the rat damage and some of the shots he's managing to get off. I'm not going to lie... I was trying to be a little greedy with my angular velocity and cut the degree of my spiral a little as to approach him quicker, but this only proved to worsen things. I get close to scram range again, and POOF! He's off, back where he started. I have no idea why the dude isn't warping out, but I can only assume that he sees that I'm having to rep pretty hard and even have structure damage from my previous greedy spiral antics. He ends up doing this two more times, but on my last spiral attempt I realize that I'm already running low on cap boosters and knew that this would probably be it for me if I didn't land tackle. I get closer and closer as the rats continue to pound on me, and I can see that he's already activated his MJD only waiting on the spool-up time to finish. I focus intently on the overview as I'm waiting to get in range, thinking that this is probably going to be close. HOLY SHIT! HE'S TACKLED! I assume he was moments away from getting his MJD off, which would have definitely forced me to have to warp off.

This is enough to cause anyone to be on edge
 I immediately post up in Minerbumping and Belligerent Undesirables channels asking if anyone has an Orca and wouldn't mind humping it to my location for refitting in space. I literally hear crickets, and as I start to think I'm going to be alone in this a hero answers the call! I know it's not much especially with a Kronos in the wind, but I promise him 100m to make it worth his while. I make sure to pay attention to my juicy victim as I'm trying to coordinate getting this Orca here for me to refit neuts in my highs. I will give him a little credit... he struggled and resisted as long as he could, dropping bastion and aligning at the same time. I knew how important it was for me to pay attention to his bastion cycles so I set my camera on his ship and zoomed in, watching for the eerie blue glow to fade. We strike up a rather boring conversation as he refuses to pay my ransom.

Finally! Help has arrived and we can start really putting some pressure on this guy. Orca gets in range, and I swap my blasters out for medium neuts and I start going to town on him. I suck on him like this for a few minutes and I can tell he is finally realizing that he's going to die. He low-balls me with a 75m isk offer to let him go. Feeling insulted, I continue with my mission when all of a sudden I'm greeted with a pleasant surprise... He's initiated his self-destruct and tells me that he's not sure how it works, but is hoping I don't get a killmail or drops from his wreck. Boy was he wrong, as we patiently waited out the 2 minutes for his imminent doom.


 I quickly scoop the loot, thank my new friend and pay him his 100m as I quickly drop off my booty at the station. While Jeckz did learn an expensive lesson, he wasn't upset in the least. He took it well, and even asked me to teach him how to do what I had done to him. I referred him to the appropriate material and we parted ways. I am extremely proud of this kill, although some will look at it and dismiss it. This one moment REALLY tested all that mission flipping has taught me. I'm not going to lie and say that it was super-hard to spiral roughly 400km in an attempt to land tackle on him... but it was something that pushed me in ways I've yet to experience so far. I am eternally grateful for Alana and her willingness to travel 12j to grab the Orca and another 9j in it to assist me in refitting. This is stuff you don't really see in BU or Minerbumping anymore, and I will be more than happy to answer the bro-call if the event arises.

Now go forth and murder!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts